Group Admins

• Profile picture of shlampe
  • Profile picture of Sharon Dwyer

Survivors

Public Group active 4 years, 7 months ago ago

A group for survivors. Tell your stories and discuss your plans.

Things cancer didn’t take away (4 posts)

• Profile picture of rick rick said 5 years, 9 months ago:

“It’s so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
    ? John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent

With a cancer diagnosis comes so much grieving. So much loss. So many dreams that may never materialize. But now that you’ve been on your journey a while, I’ll bet there are many many things you’ve done, that you wondered if you’d ever get the chance. Lets create a list of those things that we got a chance to do that we wondered if were even possible.

• Profile picture of Lyn Smith Lyn Smith said 5 years, 9 months ago:

My life – that was the one big thing cancer never took away from me. Even though it tried very hard [by being an elusive unknown primary]. The list of things I have had the chance to do since diagnosis continually grows. I never imagined for one minute that I would ever be able to speak in public – now they must surely be looking for ways to keep me quiet! I never believed that I was capable or had the self confidence and belief to do any of what I do today. Through my diagnosis I have met so many wonderful inspiring and incredible people who have enriched my life in a way I never thought possible. I have learned to love, trust and believe in myself.
    I have had the honour of reading the Relay for Life Oath, which was one of my proudest moments.
    When I sit back and think about all the things that have happened to me over the past 12 and half years, I am really convinced that the purpose of my diagnosis was a “wake-up” call, guiding me to a better and more fulfilling life.
    In helping families diangosed with cancer, I truly found my niche.
    I would never have envisioned the life I have now pre diagnosis, it is like I have lived in 2 different worlds.
    And I dont think I would change any of it, for each part has been unique and special for very different reasons. However I do know that I am a much better person now – and a much happier and contented one.
    Thanks again Rick for making me think!
    Take care everyone
    Lyn

• Profile picture of Mary Hayes-Sharp Mary Hayes-Sharp said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Something I never thought I would be able to do was to fight cancer. Because my father died of cancer, I thought that if he couldn’t live through it neither could I. My dad was my hero. He could do anything. That’s why cancer was something I was always terrified of. If I heard of someone being diagnosed with cancer, I’d sit back and wait for him or her to die, making as little contact with the person as possible. Can you imagine I was like that? When I received my diagnosis, I considered suicide. Can you imagine I thought that?
    Then, through the Grace of God and my wonderful gyno, I met Rick Boulay, and my life changed. If there ever was a place of hope, it is in his office with him and his amazing staff. They changed me. I went from a terrified lump of humanity to a person with HOPE! I fought with all my being, expecting from the very beginning of my journey that the outcome would be favorable, and it was.
    So that’s the thing, I never thought I could do. I have more strength than I ever imagined and it took this crisis to bring it out. Thanks, Rick and thanks to your amazing staff. You are the stuff of which miracles are made. I don’t just mean medically, but spiritually. You have helped so many of us find our true strength, even when we thought we had none.

• Profile picture of rick rick said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Being a caregiver and not a survivor, my perspective may be a bit more simplistic.

When my wife was diagnosed with leukemia, our daughters were 9 and 13. My uncle had died of the same disease in the 1980′s when his son, my cousin was 14. I saw the trauma that they went through ( and still go through) and assumed that would be our path. My expectation early on was that I was to be sitting alone at our daughters high school graduation. I could really even feel the loneliness.

My wife did well and continues to remain in a remission. And as a result, our whole family including 2 sets of grandparents ( one a cancer survivor), sat proudly in the front row, when my daughter delivered the valedictorian address last June. It was a very powerful moment for me. Just being together sharing the good times. Even better, my daughters speech was based on Plato’s quote, “Be kind, for you never know what burdens others may carry.”

It was an all around tremendous day will always remain with me. But the beauty is more in the simplicity of being together and enjoying one anothers company and sharing in each others joys. And that you can find any day. A most important lesson learned from my cancer survivorship friends.