Group Admins

• Profile picture of shlampe
  • Profile picture of Sharon Dwyer

Public Group active 4 years, 9 months ago ago

A group for survivors. Tell your stories and discuss your plans.

The Power of Positive Thinking? (5 posts)

• Profile picture of rick rick said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I generally start with the quotes, but I’ll end with them this time. I met 3 cancer survivors yesterday, each participating in our “Fight Like a Girl” 5K Run/Walk. Each attributed their success in outliving their disease to their positive thinking. I found 2 quotes, each with a different slant.

I’m totally into new age and self-help books. I used to work in a bookstore and that’s the section they gave me, and I got way into it. I just loved the power of positive thinking, letting yourself go.
    Jason Mraz

It is important to recognize and politics positive thinking is often the slaves’ virtue – something that people do to con themselves about the burden and change being placed upon them.
    James Bovard

So I was wondering which quote you felt more sympathetic toward: Jason Mraz with positive thinking can accomplish a lot or James Bovard with positive thinking merely disguises our difficulties?

• Profile picture of Sarah Goslin Sarah Goslin said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I feel sympathetic with both. Positive thinking can certainly aid your mindset when tackling a certain task. But depending on the task, all the positive thinking in the world might not help. I’m trying to be a more positive person these days. Some days it makes me feel better, others not so much. But overall, it certainly can’t hurt to have a positive attitude!

• Profile picture of rick rick said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I agree with Sarah. I am also sympathetic to both approaches. During the cancer journey, it is impossible to remain optimistic throughout. Rarely do you find a Pollyanna in cancer survivorship.THere are just to many twists, turns and backslides. On the other hand, being content and at peace with all that we must handle really reduces the angst and fear that many people carry. And few people like to hang out with a Debbie Downer.

So I guess its like many other multisided tools: we learn to use the most appropriate tool in the toolbox for the situation at hand. As we learn and share our wisdom, this gets easier in time. But man…at teh beginning, in the eye if the storm, it can be really tough.

• Profile picture of Jeanne Angalet Jeanne Angalet said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I also believe that positive thinking can be both – truly being positive, and sometimes its a great form of denial. I manage to keep my attitude mostly positive, in my opinion I have a choice to frown or smile, and smiling makes me feel better overall. At times, its not very easy to generate a smile, and when that happens day after day, week upon week, I know I need to reach out for help. Bottom line is that choosing to be cheerful, and laugh, and be positive is much better for my well-being than being morose, depressed, and sad all the time. I think this expresses it…I’ll post again if other thoughts pop into my head.

• Profile picture of rick rick said 5 years, 4 months ago:

And these thoughts from Carol Knuth: I think positive thinking can be part of our combative and healing process against illness. My daughter’s fiancĂ© remained with us longer due to my daughter’s unending faith and hope that he would beat the cancer. Her faith in miracles was a blanket that covered him in hope and the belief he could be a miracle for her. She never gave up…not even as she was performing CPR…trying to breathe a little more life into his body. Positive thinking is a miracle for one’s body, soul and to those that witness it in action.