Group Admins

• Profile picture of shlampe
  • Profile picture of Sharon Dwyer

Public Group active 4 years, 9 months ago ago

A group for survivors. Tell your stories and discuss your plans.

Oh yeah… forgot that whole cancer thing. (2 posts)

• Profile picture of rick rick said 5 years, 7 months ago:

So it has finally happened. After four years, the cancer in our lives became a “PS” in a phone conversation. I was catching up with a friend that I hadn’t spoken with for a dozen years. He hunted me down for some medical advice on a family member (surprise). After discussing how our kids were doing ( they were all playing first and second grade soccer when we last spoke and now are in college) I asked if he had known that my wife had been diagnosed with leukemia several years age. I got the usual uncomfortable pause. After explaining that she remains in treatment but is doing very well we made plans to get together.

I find my whole response more interesting than his. For the first time in many years, cancer was not one of the first topics on my lips. It was more of an afterthought. It’s like I’ve made it finally to the beautiful place in my journey. Come home again to peace.

And so I wonder if anyone else has had this experience. And if so, did you work toward it, or did it just happen?

• Profile picture of andrea poloni andrea poloni said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Well, sometimes I do forget that I have had cancer. There are times when many hours go by, and I dont think about it or discuss anything related to it with friends. But every time I get undressed to go to bed, or to take a shower, I see my mutilated body and then remember that I am one who got the disease. You cant forget it for long, even if you dont have a body reminder. If you have to take a drug which gives you side effects, those side effects serve as a reminder also. Once you have cancer, you are now on what I call “the cancer carousel.” This means there are lots of medical practioners who want to see you and examine the same body parts, at least in my case. But I have accepted all of this as the “new normal.”