Group Admins

• Profile picture of shlampe
  • Profile picture of Sharon Dwyer

Public Group active 4 years, 9 months ago ago

A group for survivors. Tell your stories and discuss your plans.

How do you develop trust in your medical team? (6 posts)

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years ago:

Trust, but verify.
    Ronald Reagan

He who does not trust enough, Will not be trusted.
    Lao Tzu

Two well known quotes. Two completely opposite ideas. I am always amazed at how quickly my patients trust me and my team. And truthfully I’m not quite sure how that implicit trust develops so quickly. Within an hour of meeting a new patient I’ve asked many, many very personal questions, completely examined them ( and I mean completely), and usually obtained consent to either chop ‘em open or fill ‘em with some chemical or other. So my question is how do patients develop such trust in their medical teams ( not me or my team_ any medical team), especially oncology medical teams who put patients through a lot. Is it reputation or online searches? Is it the fact that we may work at a reputable institution or maybe that your trusted Doc has sent you to see us. Or do you simply go expecting that you are in the right place. Trust, but verify, or blind trust?

• Profile picture of Lyn Smith Lyn Smith said 6 years ago:

What a great topic Rick! Made me think back to when I was diagnosed and why I had immediate trust in the team of health care professionals I was referred to. I think it was a combination of factors. The general surgeon I had for my first lot of surgery then referred me to his twin brother for the gynaecological surgery [keeping it in the family] I knew this family of drs had local history going back a couple of generations so was comfortable with them. I also knew diddly about cancer so had to trust someone. Following the surgeries I knew that I was receiving the best possible care and that when I was referred on for radiotherapy etc it would be to others that these drs trusted enough themselves.
    My son also pointed out that when something goes wrong with your car, you take it to a mechanic, believing that he will be able to fix it. Why would we not have that same trust in our health care team?
    If you ever want to know how to knit Rick – I’m your girl, but in the meantime, I will leave the oncology world in your very capable hands.
    Take care

From the twittersphere:
    The Sister’s Project ? @SistersProject
    @journeycancer Smart docs who truly engage, explain & interact with their patients rather than treat them like a number inspire trust IMHO!

• Profile picture of Mary Hayes-Sharp Mary Hayes-Sharp said 6 years ago:

Well, I was refered to you by two doctors that I had seen for years and trusted. Also I did a bit of research on the net before my first appointment with you and your team. I knew the type of treatment that I wanted, but did not realize that I could get it right here in the valley. You suggested to me and my husband exactly what I wanted before I even mentioned it. That was an instant trust builder. Plus there is something about your demeanor, which inspires trust. Your calmness and positivity were exactly what we needed. My youngest son has connections at Fox Chase and wanted me to go there shortly after surgery, and arranged everything for me to be seen there, but I knew beyond a doubt that I was already where I needed to be. Have other doctors affected me this way? Other than the two I mentioned earlier, sadly, no. The Twitter message received from The Sister Project is exactly what many in the medical profession need to hear.

Joyce Hislop posted an update in the group Medical Professional Group:
    In response to this week’s post about patient’s trust in their medical team, I see this daily in my oncology nursing and marvel at this kind of faith. I teach patients who are about to start chemotherapy treatment, and during the visit I tell them, and whomever they’ve chosen to bring with them to the teaching session, about the drugs the oncologist has spoken to them about and the possible side effects they may encounter during the course of treatment. Some of the possible side effects can be very scary to hear, and not necessarily going to happen, but the information needs to be understood by the patient and any questions answered before starting treatment. This called informed consent During each individual meeting I’m very much aware that I’m starting someone on a journey into the unknown, and I’m always humbled by their courage to go forward with the projected plan and the faith expressed that we’ll work together with any issues anlong the way. I’ve sometimes had occasion in my own life to need even a part of that kind of courage, and in my heart I recall our patients; they bolster my own confidence and I am grateful.

• Profile picture of Elizabeth Jordon Elizabeth Jordon said 6 years ago:

When I was a child, my sisters would play a game with a flashlight before bed time. They would shine the beam on the wall and I would have to tag it before they moved it. Not an easy game at any age but this is the image I had when I contemplated where my trust comes from; difficult to touch and always moving. I have come to believe that this experience of trust shows up in us as an innate gift from Creation. In animals we call it instinct. My ‘instinct’ was shattered as a child so I was left feeling as though I was spun in a violent circle and set down to walk straight. As I continue to steady myself, I realize the feeling of trust taps into the intention of the person asking for it. I trusted Dr. Rick and his team with an amount of ease that had no logical connections. The source is the heart. I came to a conscious awareness of everyone’s expertise over time but what I knew from the first introduction was that I could trust them not only with my life but with my heart. I am eternally grateful.