Group Admins

• Profile picture of shlampe
  • Profile picture of Sharon Dwyer

Survivors

Public Group active 4 years, 7 months ago ago

A group for survivors. Tell your stories and discuss your plans.

Cancer can be an inspiration? What? (7 posts)

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Long after the fear subsides and the scars fade, a cancer diagnosis colors who we are. Who we have become. Many find within themselves that a sleeping passion has reawakened. A drive to be or do something cannot be denied. Has the cancer in your life inspired you to be more than you had previously imagined? What things do you do now that may have never crossed your mind prior to your diagnosis? Or perhaps your life may not have changed you a bit and your diagnosis simply faded away.

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years, 6 months ago:

As a medical care giver and husband son grandson friend etc(I think you get what I’m saying)of cancer survivors, I have always been one giant step removed from carrying a personal cancer diagnosis. However the constancy of the “cancer theme” in my life and the guidance from those with this disease has led to a great deal of reflection on what “life with cancer” means.

After lots of thought, to me, it simply means “life” with cancer. And what is life but a series of random events and experiences connected by a brain that tries to make sense of it all. Making sense of the nonsensical. How we choose to make sense of it is the only part of the craziness in our control.

I have personally witnessed folks who are so “beaten” by their disease they can do no more than simply exist. I have personally witnessed folks who are so enactivated by their disease that they stop at nothing to raise awareness, educate, and inspire those around them.

Now, trust me, I “get” that cancer is a personal disease with a very personal reaction to it. I “get” that there is no right or wrong way to go through it. And I really “get ” that I have no business looking for inspiration in those around me fighting a difficult battle. But what is so powerful and obvious to me that the strength of the human spirit is one the most powerful forces I have come across.

And I am inspired. Very inspired. Very Incredibly inspired. So much so that I want to harness all the energy and emotion and wisdom that come from each journey, package it, and give it to the next person on the journey. I want to be the voice of those whose battle has been far too short. And I want to be the first one to celebrate each year of survivorship.

Now to carve out a little free time.

• Profile picture of Debbie Josuweit Debbie Josuweit said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Dr. B, I guess I have been inspired more to reach out to others who have be diagnosised with cancer. Listening to others who need to be heard. With the support and friendships that helped me through cancer I want to be there for those in need. I have learned to appreciate all things big and small, from the tinyest flower to the sky above I am more thankful and gratiful for the things God has given me. Thank you for listening. Debbie

• Profile picture of Catye Quinn Catye Quinn said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Cancer is definitely one of those words that will forever change who you are. It will change you whether you are the person getting the diagnosis or the person giving the diagnosis or a family or friend. Even just knowing that you know someone who has just found out they have cancer is traumatizing. Watching and interacting with cancer patients for the past three years has taught me a lot about life and about myself. I have learned that everyday is not a guarantee, but a gift. I have learned to slow down and listen, laugh, yell or cry with those around me. I do not know what tomorrow will bring me, but I do know I have had a lot of people teach and inspire me to be the best I can and to give all that I can to the person(s) in front of and around me. Life is short and life is sweet. I have been inspired to say the things you wouldn’t normally say because you think it’s a given. I am loud and out there and do not care because I do not know what tomorrow will bring me, so I want you to know how I feel today and everyday and I want to know how you feel as well. I want to be there to bring people up and hold them when they are coming down or have already crumbled. My people are my rock and I am theirs. We are interdependent of eachother through this journey through cancer! Thanks. Catye

• Profile picture of Sharon Dwyer Sharon Dwyer said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Since my cancer diagnosis, I find myself reminding my friends to get their annual PAP/pelvic exams. Also, previously, I would worry about everything and now I try not to sweat the small stuff. I do have relapses occasionally but at least I’m trying!

• Profile picture of Kayla Dolan Kayla Dolan said 6 years, 4 months ago:

One of my managers tonight actually asked me how i was handling everything. Which is definitely the most popular question ever asked. I think people are surprised when i answer them, surprised at my reaction, and surprised at my outlook. When Dr. Boulay first said those words, “Pathology has changed, after further testing it has come back cancerous,” my first thought was, Thank god is was me and not my sister. My sister is 15 years old and I think that would’ve been harder on me. I’ve always been the strong, you can throw anything at me and ill find a way to conquer it type. After all the information set in and i finally had time to process i had this feeling that the fog in my life was finally cleared. I spend more time with friends that i haven’t seen in such a long time, I take time off of work to spend it with my family, and i am more focused in my studies and at work. It was like it’s been raining my whole life and now the sun is shining and im seeing more clearly. Life is too short to sit in the rain…

• Profile picture of Mary Hayes-Sharp Mary Hayes-Sharp said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I don’t think my life has changed very much. My family has always been my focus. I’m so blessed to have such precious people in my life. My husband and I just returned from having dinner with our granddaughter and her husband. Wonderful kids. And yesterday afternoon we watched our young grandsons’ soccer games. Is this a wonderful life? Absolutely. But then it always was. Ups and downs, sure, but so very precious.