Group Admins

• Profile picture of shlampe
  • Profile picture of Sharon Dwyer

Survivors

Public Group active 4 years, 7 months ago ago

A group for survivors. Tell your stories and discuss your plans.

Are all cancers created equal? (7 posts)

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years, 2 months ago:

“The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.”
    Aristotle

So I’m gonna go out on a limb here a little bit, but I’ve heard many times over that there are “perceived discrepancies amongst cancer survivors”. That’s the politically correct way of saying, ” People with that kind of cancer get everything, while people with my kind get the left overs.” So…is that real? Are there true disparities in support (research funding, advocacy, social programing, public acceptance) among different types of cancer? Or do people just feel that way?

• Profile picture of lisa m lisa m said 6 years, 2 months ago:

hmmm…have to think about this…..I think breast cancer survivors get extra support for the fact that there are so many w/ that kind of cancer-power in numbers.I support the pink ribbon always. Now, I have a question for any professional who has an answer-I kinda, sorta, believe that any cure for cancer is squashed because there is so much money being made. Not by the the doctors , but the rest-the pharm. co’s , etc etc. etc., the “bigwigs”. Any thoughts anyone?

Touché Lisa. Topping my provocative question with another. I will pose your question on why we think cures have been ao elusive to the group next week. Thanks for the idea.

• Profile picture of Kayla Dolan Kayla Dolan said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I think it’s kind of like car shopping, when you’re thinking about buying a specific car you start to see that type of car everywhere, all of a sudden everyone is driving that same car. A better example, a friend of mine has a 5 yr old who was diagnosed with leukemia prior to his diagnosis I never saw anything about childhood cancers. Now, Hyundai has there charities and commercials, dominos had an awareness thing, etc. Prior to my diagnosis I never saw anything about ovarian cancer and now I see commercials and hear about it on the radio. Yes, there’s alot of pink around but maybe it’s because we’re Alittle tuned out to the others.

Yeah, after the “pinkification” of October, those with us who work with other types of cancer get a little envious. But with the sheer volume of breast cancer diagnoses (over 200,000 per year in the US alone) I think it’s only natural that they will get a lot of retention. What is wonderful is that most will be cured. And what is also wonderful is that breast cancer survivors have literally changes the conversation on cancer survivorship. Their advocacy, organization and power has spoken in a unanimous voice. ” I have cancer. I am still here. I am still me. And I will do everything I can to make others aware that cancer will not go away without first awareness, and then funding for research for prevention and treatment.”

The good news for the rest of us is that many of the subsequent advances are then useful in other malignancies. Just the awareness alone that cancer is survivable is a huge step. Without realization that there are 12 million cancer survivors in the US alone, there wouldn’t be any desire to even discuss the problem. And we all know how those conversations can go (Please see the forum Cancer:the conversation killer). The medical advances uncovered in research for breast cancer are used in a number of other cancers including uterine ovary colon lung and a number of others.

So don’t lose heart. It’s all good. We all grow and share the knowledge. And with that we get better at treating all cancers. But I must admit, it’s hard to shout “Teal” in a “Pink” room.

• Profile picture of Cathy Schuyler Cathy Schuyler said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Dr. B, this post is just another example of why your patients are your biggest fans. Keep doing what you do, no matter what color the room is! A side note… my journey takes yet another turn on 12/16 as I am scheduled for a “pbm” and reconstruction. Here is a quote for you… “If my ship sails from sight, it doesn’t mean my journey ends, it simply means the river bends.” – John Enoch Powell

Thanks Cathy. I know that is a difficult decision but at least it’s a “p” bm. Emphasis on “p”. Love the quote. I’m sure I “ll need to refer back to it someday.