Group Admins

• Profile picture of rick

Philosophy and cancer survivorship

Public Group active 4 years, 8 months ago ago

Much of what is important in cancer survivorship has been stated over the eons in philosophy. Please join Eric Rathgeber in an application of the wisdom of the centuries as it relates to cancer survivorship.

Stress? (5 posts)

• Profile picture of Patricia Patricia said 6 years, 3 months ago:

A young lady confidently walked around the room while leading and explaining stress management to an audience. She raised a glass of water, and everyone knew she was going to ask the ultimate question, ‘half empty or half full?’ She fooled them all. “How heavy is this glass of water”, she inquired with a smile?
    Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.
    She replied, “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you’ll have to call an ambulance. In each case it’s the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.”
    She continued, “and that’s the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won’t be able to carry on.”
    “As with the glass of water, you have to put stress down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we’re refreshed, we can carry on with the burden – holding stress longer and better each time practiced. So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don’t carry them through the evening and into the night… pick them up tomorrow.
    Whatever burdens you’re carrying now, let them down for a moment. Relax, pick them up later after you’ve rested. Life is short. Enjoy it. And once you’ve rested, you’ll find it easier to shake off that “perceived” stress.
    by Scott “Q” Marcus

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Patricia Love it! An excellent excellent example of how stress can make even the smallest of burdens difficult. Lets see if our members agree and what they do to reduce stress.

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I approach stressors in different ways. If I want to address work through them, music is my best friend. I find a combination of lyric and melody brings me to a place where i can better find the emotions attached to the words themselves. And for whatever reason opens up the part of me that can deal with it. If I want to clear my head, yoga is great. Everything physically feels better and my mind is clear at the end.

Either way, the end result is the refreshed state that Patricia described in her post. A new and sometimes clearer look at how to deal with the stressors affecting me.

• Profile picture of val val said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Well, I’ve got to say, I do believe I can beat anybody with this topic!! Firstly, I know I’ve lived with stress all my life. Stress has been hanging onto me since my early 20′s. After getting married, my husband was very sickly for years. I lived with my friend stress with his illnesses, his surgeries, his recoveries. We had very little money and everything saved went to the University of Scranton, since he was going for his principal’s certificate. I had my first baby during that time, so stress was doubled. I had no help. Yes, my family helped whenever they could – and I appreciated it very much, but they couldn’t be around 24/7. It was up to me. I think I weighed about 99 lbs., and I cooked three meals a day for everyone. For years, we lived with stress staying in the background. It was difficult, but somehow we still found the time to laugh and be happy on those good days. It was good having a baby too. He took away a lot of the stress as we watched him grow and enjoyed every day with him. Somehow or other, we learned to live with our problems and developed around the stress and became a very close family. I never forgot about God, even though some days, I told him I was mad at him. Time went by, things sort of got better. We had another baby and things were good. Then came 1990. My husband had to undergo another operation and the doctor operating made a mistake. One that could not be corrected. So there we were again, stress came back with a vengence. This time though, it did take a toll of us. Happiness seemed to disappear, and fear and dispair was what the stress left us with. But, again, as time went by, we grew around another problem and became happy again. The kids were growing up, we were busy with baseball, basketball, swimming, dance lessons, singing lessons. And we survived. I don’t know when we threw stress out the window, but we did and things were real good. Our kids graduated high school, college, we went on vacations, had fun with our friends and families, had my daughter’s wedding, and a year later, my son’s. Then came 2010 and my cancer. Stress was alive and well again. My surgery went really well, thanks to Dr. Boulay, but I did have to have chemo and radiation. Again, months of stress and the stress brought fears and tears, but my family and friends and all the people in Dr. Boulay’s office helped with the stress. After awhile, it would come and go, just as in this article. The stress was replaced by an attitude of acceptance and the determination to get through everything. And I did, and am in remission. Stress again took a vacation, but not for long for now we are going through a very stressful situation. My son is recovering from brain cancer surgery, and it seems that our stress levels have met their limit. No one wants their child to be sick, especially me. I think I’m living his stress with him because it is killing me to see him go through this. Some days, the stress just gets to be too much and there are many tears. How can I tell stress to let go. I’d love to not have any and I agree that the more you hold on, the heavier the burden. But this is my boy, and stress hasn’t been a friend throughout this ordeal. But again, family and friends somehow make the stress levels drop and some days are normal. Right now, my son is experiencing some scary side effects from chemo – so you know what we’re living with. STRESS. And Dr. Boulay did sort of say to me that he doesn’t want me to have too much stress, and I would like nothing better but to satisfy him. But I know somehow we’ll get through this and when that time comes, I’m going to sing and dance and finally be able to tell stress to get out and stay out. HA, could that be possible????

• Profile picture of Mary Hayes-Sharp Mary Hayes-Sharp said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I’ll pray for you and your precious son. I can’t make the stress go away so I’ll do the best I can to lift your spirits by keeping you close in prayer.