Group Admins

• Profile picture of shlampe

Healing Through The Arts

Public Group active 6 years, 3 months ago ago

Cancer survivorship recovery through artistic endeavors. You can visit us at http://www.htta.org

Do you seek out cancer related artistic events? (6 posts)

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life.
    Oscar Wilde

Many cancer survivors use the arts as a way to tell their story and find healing. Some projects are personal and intimate, while others are on a grand scale like the recent release of the film “50/50″. I wonder, do these projects draw or turn away cancer survivors? Is there some connection that survivors can share at these types of events or are they just another tough to take “in your face” cancer moment?

• Profile picture of Mary Hayes-Sharp Mary Hayes-Sharp said 6 years, 3 months ago:

No, I don’t seek them out. I don’t even watch hospital shows on TV anymore, I had to stop watching “Brothers and Sisters” the season it focused on Kitty’s cancer. My daughter-in-law asked me why I feel this way and I told her that now I know what it feels like to be the person in the hospital bed. The less I think about cancer the better off I am. Other then the fantastic supportive people I met, the whole experience seems like a nightmare I never want to revisit.

• Profile picture of Sharon Dwyer Sharon Dwyer said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Like Mary, I don’t seek them out. I shy away from them. If a TV show has a cancer theme, I won’t watch it. When the commercial for Cancer Treatment Centers of America comes on, I change the channel. Watching something about cancer gets me depressed and weepy, so I do my best not to put myself in that position.

• Profile picture of psweaver psweaver said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I feel the same way Mary and Sharon feel about TV cancer programs and commericials. I do not want to listen because it depresses me and brings back too may bad memories. However, I do not hesitate talking about my cancer journey with family or friends who ask questions. But watching anything on TV about cancer are just a no-no for me.

• Profile picture of Kayla Dolan Kayla Dolan said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I’m the odd one out on this one, I do seek these projects out. I actually went and saw “50/50″ the night it came out with my best friend. Which was funny because we related to the characters pretty well. The reason i seek out these projects is to increase my knowledge, find other survivors, and listen to their stories. While at the movie release I had the privledge of meeting a breast cancer survivor and i was able to talk with her, it was a great night. I look forward to more movies, other events, and definitely meeting other survivors.

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I think I kinda pick and choose. And if I choose to go to one of these events, I must be at a “strong personal moment”. I’ve been caught off guard before having to deal with difficult memories in a public forum (a certain scene in “Terms of Endearment” comes to mind) and I’m too much of a control freak to be caught off guard again.

When I speak or perform at a Survivorship Event, I often request that my wife not be there. It can be too difficult for me to share freely while she may be in a different mindset than I regarding her leukemia survivorship. Three years ago I did a fairly big survivorship ceremony on discovering hope. It involved lecturing, personal introspection, singing, and audience participation. It was tricky emotionally on the best of days. But Julie’s diagnosis came within a few days of the event … and she was in the audience. Still not sure how I made it through.

Anyway some events are uplifting, some are depressing, and some can be just plain confusing as the speakers try to put into words the meaningfulness of their journey. I keep toward the positive ones. And I know that may be a cop out for a medical caregiver. But you can only do what you can do. And if I see “50/50″ it’ll probably be at home on DVD.