Group Admins

• Profile picture of rick

Faith and Your Cancer Journey

Public Group active 4 years, 7 months ago ago

We are a group who, touched by cancer, recognize the importance of spirituality along the cancer journey.

Easter reflections (6 posts)

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years, 11 months ago:

“For I remember it is Easter morn,
    And life and love and peace are all new born.” ~Alice Freeman Palmer

On this Easter Sunday please share with us how your faith has brought you renewed love life and peace. And how the darkest days, when your faith was tested, your spiritual relationship grew stronger… or perhaps failed you.

• Profile picture of rick rick said 6 years, 11 months ago:

This is always an introspective time of year for me. My grandmother, Catherine, lost her battle the day before Easter. Hers was my first experience of loss from cancer. More tragic to me, she lost her faith before she lost her battle. My grandmother had always been the pillar of the church and community, She was educated in a convent in rural Quebec, built the church, taught Sunday school and sang in the church choir. And yet, at the end, she felt totally abandoned by God. I’ve always wondered how someone so devout could feel so alone.

My wife, on the other hand, found a very strong faith calling with her leukemia diagnosis. She has found a true relationship with God which is really comforting for her.

As for me, I see daily that those with faith seem to have a much easier time on their journey through cancer. Yet I still resist. Maybe I haven’t been tested enough. Maybe its just not part of my calling. Or perhaps my continued questioning may make it more solid when it finally happens.

• Profile picture of rose rose said 6 years, 11 months ago:

I have heard that if you don’t completely surrender yourself to the Lord he will not answer your prays. I find that not to be true. I may not go to church as I should, but I always feel a sense of calm when I look upon my picture of Jesus. I have one on my mirror and one in my locker at work. When things get crazy and I think I can’t go on, just looking at him calms me. They say things happen for a reason, that GOD has a plan for everyone. Before the cancer diagnosis I’ve always felt alone. But now something is different. Maybe it’s spiritual or just seeing how many people rallied behind me for this fight. I would like to thank Dr. Boulay and Dr. Perch along with their staff for being there for me. Actually the whole LVH Network made me feel like they were all behind me on this battle. I know i have a long time before I’m consider “cured” but for now some of the fear is gone. I hope everyone had a very Happy and safe Easter.

• Profile picture of lynda lynda said 6 years, 10 months ago:

My faith is what gets me thru the ups and downs of this cancer journey. Because of the empty tomb,I am assured the best is yet to come{heaven].”Death has been swallowed up in victory” 1 Corinthians 15:54.
    Cancer cannot steal my faith, it can only make it stronger.”For our present troubles are small and won’t last long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever.” 2 Corinthians 4:17.
    Blessings to all.

• Profile picture of Mary Hayes-Sharp Mary Hayes-Sharp said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I have questions, not answers. Did my faith get me through this journey? Was my faith stronger than my friend’s who’s outcome was not good? I have no answers. However, I do know that I want to live my life by trying as best I can to be a reflection of God’s love in this world.

• Profile picture of val val said 6 years, 10 months ago:

On my way to mass on Easter Sunday morning, I said to the Lord – I love this day, this time of year. I think it brings me and a lot of other people closer to God because of the representation of the events of holy week. Seems ironic for this time to be a reminder to me of my cancer diagnosis and now, since 5 weeks ago, of my son. He had a tumor removed at Thomas Jefferson Hospital 4 weeks ago and is now making plans for his treatment. How do I even explain my feelings. This was my son that this terrible thing happened to. It seems that God just seems to think my shoulders are made of iron. It has been a terrible time for my whole family. When the neurosurgeon came to us after his surgery, he categorized my son’s tumor as a glioma. But after weeks of pathology, it actually wasn’t, thank God. I think that’s where we got our miracle. That surgeon was so sure of what it was and how he was going to help him. But it wasn’t that bad tumor, one that right now could be dealt with and treated. Throughout this endurance, I didn’t ask Why???? I don’t know why? Somehow or other, prayer and hope are a part of me since my cancer. Somehow you get the true meaning of your religious beliefs. God gives us only what we can handle, and we suffer, but we must remind ourselves that our suffering isn’t meaningless. He is with us throughout and will help us always get through it.

So on Easter Sunday I prayed for the glorious victory of the day and asked the Lord to please make it be even more glorious next year, with no cancer in my family.